Monday, January 30, 2012

Reading and Writing

I've never been much of a writer, but I do enjoy reading a good book when I can actually convince myself to sit down and read one. It's almost as if I have a permanent writers block and I can't tap into the creative part of my brain. It may be a result of not taking any creative writing classes in high school, and so I'm hoping this class will help me learn to be a better writer.
But when it comes to reading, I mostly enjoy non-fiction. Not the boring kind, like autobiography's about some old timer president, but the kind that tell a story. For example, I read the book All Soul written by Michael Patrick MacDonald. It's based on his life growing up in South Boston during the time that Whitey Bulger ran the streets and racism was still a major issue, especially when it came to busing the children to school. It mostly focused on all of the problems that he and his family had to deal with as a result of the era they grew up in. The story was so interesting to me, that I ended up finishing the book within two days.
But like I said, it takes a lot for me to convince myself to shut off the computer and just read a book. I'm hoping this English class, and future classes, change that for me. And I'm hoping I can learn how to write like I wish I could, with ease and confidence.

1 comment:

  1. Michael Patrick MacDonald gave a reading at a conference I went to in Providence a few years ago. He was great! but I never got around to reading one of his books. I'll have to do that one day soon.

    I hope this class helps a bit with the writer's block...I sympathize. Getting excited about something, as you are about MPM, is a great place to start.

    ReplyDelete